2.15.2013

Analyzing Carol Ann Duffy's Eurydice

In Carol Ann Duffy’s “Eurydice”, a woman from the Underworld name Eurydice is chosen by a God, namely the God Orpheus, to be his prize, or bride. The interesting spin to this poem, however, is that Eurydice is very keen on staying in the Underworld, and “[she’d] rather be dead” than be known as Orpheus’ “dearest, beloved, dark lady, white goddess, etc. etc” (Duffy). In order to escape the fate of forever being known as this patriarchal God’s wife, Eurydice tricks Orpheus into turning around to look at her as they are ascending into the living world. This causes Orpheus to be given the opportunity to escape the bonds of marriage to a God, and return back to the Underworld where she is more comfortable than being in a strong, powerful man’s arms. This poem is more of a contrast to Jane Austen’s Emma than it is a comparison. Eurydice is tormented by the concept of devoting her future to a man that craves to be the dominant one, and mocks Orpheus for “strut[ing] his stuff” (Duffy). This opinion of marriage is very different from what the ladies in Emma believe. To them, marriage is the end all be all; the end goal and destination to a happy life. Therefore, it would probably come as quite a shock to Emma, Harriet, and the other women in the novel that Eurydice preferred to be “unavailable” and “out of this world” instead of being married off to a man that she barely knew (Duffy). Eurydice even goes as far as to make fun of men’s ways of courting a lady, saying that the Underworld was “the one place you’d think a girl would be safe from the kind of a man who follows her round writing poems hovers about while she reads them, [and] calls her his Muse” (Duffy). This is a very strange perspective compared to the women’s in Emma, who revel in small riddles and love letters sent from men of high status.

1 comment:

  1. When I first read this poem, I was very confused because I was unfamiliar with the story of Orpheus and Eurydice. So I researched the background story and was very surprised by how the poem differs from the story. After I read the poem, I expected Eurydice to not love Orpheus in the myth, but that was not the case. I really appreciate Duffy rewriting this myth; she is very similar to my author that I researched, Angela Carter.
    I have watched the movie Emma, and I loved it so much that I decided to get the book. One way that “Eurydice” can relate to the book, is that it has a Biblical allusion to Lot in the lines, “when he turned,/
when he turned and he looked at me./ What else?/
I noticed he hadn’t shaved./
I waved once and was gone.” Although what I’ve read from Emma isn’t directly Biblical, but this time period is very much religious centered. In Emma, I would say that there are Biblical elements, but they are not portrayed well. For instance, Emma prays that Mr. Knightly will not love Harriet. And Mr. Elton, a religious man, is on the surface very Christian like, but then his actions, such as snubbing Harriet, are not considerate. This is similar to Lot in the Bible. He lives in a sinful city and God tells him to take his family and leave, and not look back. However, his wife does look back and she turns into salt. Her actions are not looked positively on and she pays the price. However this is contrasted with the poem because the man looks back in this case.

    ReplyDelete